You can call Cameron Jones the playing making, pocket escaping, target finding, quick reacting, fourth ranked QB in the state of Louisiana. The 6’2, 185 lbs East Ascension upcoming senior is a team player not afraid to take a hit, and makes himself available wherever he is needed, playing both slot receiver and outside receiver as well. His natural maturity and God first mentality highlights his leadership abilities. The well decorated QB was combine king at the NUC camp last year, invited to join the elite National Honor Society, received his first offer from Southeastern Louisiana University, and even plays shooting guard (SG) for the East Ascension basketball team. Jones is squatting 385 lbs, running a 4.7 on the 40 yard dash, and received a 10/10 rating in his hand technique, footwork, skill, vision, and aggression.
How does it feel to be ranked as a top 5 QB in the state?
- It’s a great accomplishment because I never knew from day one that I would be able to be where I am now.
When was your first time playing football?
- My first time playing football was my fourth grade year and after that I gave it up. Then I came back to it my freshman year and it’s been up from there.
Why did you start playing football?
- My coach tried to get me to understand that it is an easy way for me to get into college and an easy way for my mom to be able to pay for college. And it was something that I really wasn’t that bad at and I had natural talent in so I decided to give it a try.
What qualities or characteristics would you say makes a great football player?
- Leadership, motivation, and just character in general
Being a quarterback, your team looks to you to lead them. Does that put any pressure on you at all and if so how do you deal
- It’s a lot, it really puts a lot on me. But I realize that it’s just how much they look up to me and how it just comes naturally leading so I don’t really worry about all the pressure I just have to play my game.
Name some artists off of your warmup playlist.
- Lil Wayne, NBA Youngboy, Lil Baby
What are your goals going into next year?
- To improve as a quarterback, improve as a teammate, get a state championship and get ready for the next level and better myself in the books
What’s your favorite thing about playing football?
- The way the team takes you in as a family and how it has a huge impact on the community
What is your thought process during a big play?
- Just to make sure to keep my composure, stay calm, and try not to worry about the pressure and do what I can
Do you think a player’s attitude affects the results of a football game? Why or why not?
- It takes a huge toll on the game. An angry mind really takes away from you being able to understand what you have to do. So if you’re mad you can deal with it two ways either you can let it fuel you up to play better or let it take you down.
The four star prospect received an 8.5/10 in overall performance on the field and will lead a fortunate team to victory at the next level. You won’t meet a more mature, understanding, ambitious young man with the ability to lead without assistance. If you’re looking for raw talent and a “can do, will do” attitude with the grind of a player knowing that there’s something worth fighting for, Cameron Jones has you covered.