In today’s Diamond in the Rough entry, I will be highlighting Walker High School’s two sport star Dakota Wilson. At 6’1 and 235lbs, Dakota excels on the diamond as a catcher and on the gridiron as a linebacker. Between the numbers, he has good instincts and can seamlessly maneuver through traffic to make a tackle. Never afraid to drop a hat and deliver a lick, Dakota is a steady tackler in the trenches and can play some defensive end at times. He also utilizes his 485lbs squat when engaged with opposing linemen as he routinely holds his own. Even though his strength lies in run defense, he’s a good blitzer and flashes solid coverage skills. A typical southern “Yes sir No sir” kid, Dakota is a modest, calm, and respectful young man, but don’t let that fool you. When need be, he can be that vocal leader you need at the linebacker spot. Here are a few snippets from the interview.
How did you get introduced to football?
- When I was 6 or 7 my parents signed me up for pee wee football. I didn’t like it at first. The team I was on had A, B, and C team. Once I worked my way up to the A team, I started liking football. I like how football allows you to hit people. You can hit all you want and not get trouble for it. Honestly, I just love the game.
What sets you apart from other linebackers?
- Some linebackers are quite and don’t speak out much. I’m just one of those guys where if I see something wrong, I’m going to point it out. I’m more of a vocal linebacker.
Favorite NFL Player?
- Baker Mayfield. He just always talking and hypes the team up even when there down. He is just positively affecting the team. I do try to be like him and pick up my team when there down.
- Mainly just hang out with my family. We’re real close. They do so much for me. Their alwaus at every game and every tournament. They helped shape me into who I am today. Like I said earlier I didn’t really want to play football at first. But they talked to me into it and explained to me all the things I could do and experience with football. And just al the things that they pay for. I wouldn’t be where I am to today without them.
Say if you had a game tomorrow. How would you prepare for it?
- I just stay to myself and stay focused and drink a lot of fluid. Normally before a game I’m just in my locker with my headphones and just stay to myself until game time.
Goals for the upcoming season.
- Personal goals for me is just to get quicker and faster. To do so I’ll be doing a lot of agility drills, some track work, and some parachute work as well. For the season, I want my team to breakthrough and get past the first round. Once we do that the goal is a state championship.
Personal Thoughts: Dakota is a good genuine kid who loves football. He worked hard to get where he’s at now and will continue to work once he lands with a college. I can’t say enough about this young man’s character.